My little brother (finally) sent us a letter. It was worth the wait as it was full of good stuff! There was one story imparticular that I loved and made me cry. I want to share it with you (in David's exact words) and hopefully he won't mind. Here it goes:
"A couple weeks ago we stopped at Taco Bell before we went home for the night. I saw a homeless guy stumble in (he wasn't drunk or anything) just before us. I'd seen him before. You could tell he'd had a rough life. His legs were jacked up. He was skrawny and he wasn't mentally all there either. It took him a few minutes to get his order out of his mouth. He pulled out some waded 1's and gave them to the cashier. He asked how much more he owed still, it was a dollar and some change. He reached back in his pocket and got a look on his face "ah crap". I started to pull my wallet out to help this gentleman but he found just enough change in another pocket. He was standing in front of me. I took a 5 out of my wallet, folded it up and slipped it in his worn out backpack without him noticing. I felt good about that. I ordered my stuff and had a little chat with the cashier lady about her day/life and our church. Not a bad Taco Bell trip! After I got my food we were headed out and we walked past the homeless guy at his table. This really got me. He had just bowed his head in prayer before eating. There he was, homeless, jobless, dressed in rags thanking God. Wow. That skragley old man really taught me something. Gibsonia is great though. I'm feeling really good. I like my job."
This story was an eye opener to me. How lucky I am, how much I take for granted. There are people out there that show their thanks more than me. People in (much) worse situations than me. People so thankful to just get to eat. I was so thankful to David for sharing that story. I need big reminders like this.
6 days ago


6 comments:
What a good story! Thanks for sharing.
Tears to my eyes too! Thanks for sharing and thanks to all those valiant missionaries making a difference!
Thanks for sharing that story - that was so uplifting!
That is a good story thank you for sharing that!!!
Wow, it really makes you stop and take a look at your life doesn't it?
Thanks so much for sharing!! I really needed to read that today, my pity party is now over!!! :)
Post a Comment