Sunday, August 30, 2009

Calling all mommies!!

Okay, so I have registered for most everything, I think. I was hoping you could give me some pointers on your "must haves", things you wished you had, etc. Also, breast pump help??? I am clueless and man oh man those things are EXPENSIVE!!!!! I want to make sure that I register for everything I may need because whatever is left on my registry list, I can get for a discount. Thanks in advance for you help!!!

11 comments:

Britanee Walker said...

the one thing that i loved was the boppy (not the lounger/bean bag one, the other one with all the cute slipcovers). it was heaven sent for me! she was in it the day we got home, slept in it, sat up in it, total protection. just register for at least one of everything and you should be set ;) as for the pumps, it's worth every dime to pay for the nice ones-especially if you're going back to work! you could always check on ebay or something and see if you can find it cheaper there. don't skimp on the pump. you'll regret it like i did.

as for the hair mask, i don't know how much it is because we get monthly product so i'll just bring it up for you to try. i love it so i hope it works for you.

Heather said...

I got the Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump I really loved it!!! Robert found it on E-bay NEW and it was so much cheaper that way and almost half the price!!! Good luck finding one they are a must I think!!!! And one thing that I never got that I will get for sure for our next one is a bumbo and you can also find then cheaper on e-bay too! I really LOVED my boncer they vibrate and the babies love it! good luck and if you ever have any questions I would love to help!

Britanee Walker said...

loved the bouncer, swing and bumbo too (i agree with heather).

i think it really depends on the woman about the hair. mine is really healthy now but i still use the hair mask at least 1x week. every woman i've talked to,says you lose hair and get "regrowth" and that's what happened to me! it didn't happen until rian was about 6 months old but now i have short little hairs all along my hairline/partline. if we don't come up over labor day, i'll send it to you so you can have sooner than later.

Hailey said...

My biggest suggestion is a swing that plugs in, or a good set of rechargeable batteries, because the swing is AWESOME *especially if your baby has reflux* but you could go broke buying batteries to keep it running
I also loved the Boppy, I took it to the hospital with me and the Lactation Consultant showed me different positions using the pillow that really helped, also I had an emergency C Section and it was so nice to use the pillow to help keep her off my incision since it was super sore for a while.
Bumbos are good, we liked ours, Skye hated the bouncy.
As for Breast Pumps I would get an electric one if you can, hand pumping gets old real quick....also maybe call the hospital, I delivered in Ogden but we could buy one through the hospital for super cheap or even rent them for like $30 a month or so as well.
I think every baby likes different things but I think the one thing you don't need for sure is a wipe warmer, to me that was the biggest waste of money it just dried out the things.
Have fun registering and shopping :)

Howells Fam said...

We loved the bumbo, swing, jumparoo,bouncy seat... Don't worry about getting a wipe warmer, babies really don't mind, so that's just a waste of money. I agree with everyone else, if you're going to be breast feeding, get a NICE electric pump even though they're expensive.

Kate said...

Brooke, I loved having the vibrating bouncer. I would invest in a good breast pump. I wish I had. I think those cute drapes that cover you while you breastfeed look like a great idea, better than just a blanket. Good luck with all that.

Sheena said...

You should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover anything on a breast pump. Our insurance would pay 60% of a certain one if I had a prescription from my doctor for it. So i got a nice one and it was cheap!

Sam and Chelsie said...

I also have the Ameda Purely Yours Pump and I love it!!! The Expensive ones are worth it!!!!

Melissa said...

Boppy IS awesome! Do not get a manual breast pump! I bought the Medella Lactina select breastpump (it is one of the ones that the hospital rents out) I got it on e-bay and then you just get your own attachments ($30 for those) It is worth the money by far, especially if you work, and you can use it for all your kids. I would only get Medella, any kind of electric is quite good of theirs. The recommended pump of all lactation consultants by far ! ;) You can also rent from the hospital which i did for the first 6 weeks, and it was WAY cheap, and I had enough milk stored up from just those few weeks to last for emergencies easily.
I would register for breast pads and cream as well, you will go through lots of pads fast! And for sore breasts, squeezing some milk on them and letting them air dry is best (don't know how I got off on that tangent, I'm am just over the top about breatfeeding! ;))
bouncy chairs and swings are great, but I wouldn't go buying them all before baby comes. They all like different things. Luke only liked his swing for about a month, and the bouncy chair was a hit. And I had a bumbo for 1 day, and he HATED being stuck in something like that. so i would just feel it out....... Anywho...
I am getting sooo excited for you guys! I have lots of info on breast pumps and breast feeding from a lactation consultant class if you need anything! BREAST IS BEST! okay, I am going to stop now! love ya

Melissa said...

Oh yes, I loved my moby sling/wrap. It is awesome and you can use it until he is about 1 year. Or any kind of wrap/sling.

Sheena said...

I am so glad you called and they will cover 80% of it! WAHOO!! Our insurance is with Regence aka Valuecare aka Blue cross blue shield. :)