Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Deegan Mega Post!

The computer I am using has had issues recognizing my memory card and since I grabbed the wrong cord 3 times, I have not been able to load my pics. Not to mention things have been a little crazy. And I wondered what I would do all day.......... Have no fear because today I got the right cord!

I should have just done another verbal post because now I am having a hard time remembering everything that has happened the last day or so.

He is doing MUCH better! He is so much more content and happy since he started getting my milk. He started at 3ml every 3 hours and is up to 15. He has been tolerating the very well so we hope he keeps this up. This will most likely be what keeps us here. So please pray that he gets the hang of feeding quickly! Every other feed is done in a bottle and then the other is done with his feeding tube. This is just so he doesn't get worked too much and too worn out. Today he totally finished 2 of his 3 bottles which is great. He was only taking 9 before and was bumped up to 15 so this is great. He is pretty slow but that is okay. He just needs to finish within about 30 minutes. I have not been able to hold him much today because he has been on the bili lights. He will most likely be on them tomorrow too and then hopefully his labs will come back good. He is no longer in the same bed which is great! This means he is holding his own temperature (with blankets) well enough.

He FINALLY got a bath yesterday. Poor kid needed one. His hair was all matted to his head and still had gunk in it so this was good. I just LOVE his hair! Okay, onto the pics (which there are a ton!) and I will continue on with the updates!


Day 3 in the NICU. I need to get one of these little support things. He loves it! He just loves to be swaddled and snuggled. We can handle that. He is now just on a low flow nasal canula. When he was on the high flow he was at 1.5 liters. On the 16th he was on th low flow at 50 ml which is the equivelant to 1000 liters. So a big drop! Now I believe he is on about 9 ml. So just tiny tiny puffs of air. I am okay with this because it gives him a little more energy for eating.



His puffiness has gone down so much!



No more CPAP machine or high flow nasal canula. Yahoo!!! We like this empty corner!

NICU Day 4


Daddy holding him for the FIRST time! He only got to hold him for a couple minuted because he had to leave for work. Hopefully he will make it home in time to come do his 1:30 am feeding and then he can snuggle him more!


He has had his eyes open so much today! I love it! They are pretty yellow but thats what the lights are for! It makes me so happy to see these little eyes looking at me. Even when they go cross eyed. :)




On the bili lights. This is very common for preemies to be on these lights. And he actually quite enjoys it!




Holding mommys finger. Loved it! Sure would be nice if my hands and feet went back to normal. ha ha. I know it may be a while. My feet pretty much tripled in size last night. It is disgusting. They get so puffy and gross. Oh well!



Our little snoozer! Sorry the pics are kinda grainy on some. The lighting is not the greatest at times in the NICU but thats okay. He doesn't really like the bright lights anyways.

He has come along way the last day or so but still has a ways to go. He has not lost any weight yet and tonight when we weighed him he was 6 lbs 1.3 oz! I had a minor melt down last night and packed up some of my stuff at 1:30 am and went home. I just was not getting any good sleep at the hospital and needed to go home and be in my own bed. I think I will sleep at home at least until he is nursing and then I may start sleeping at the hospital again. I still have the room so I can go up during the day if I need to and I still keep a bunch of my junk in there so it will be okay.

This being in the NICU stuff is no fun that is for sure but we know it is best for him. The baby next to us has been here for 2 weeks and his mom was just told he will be there another 2 weeks all beause of feeding issues. I REALLY don't want that to be us. He was a week earlier than Deegan so that is part of it. So please, if you don't mind, pray for him to be a champion eater so he can come home soon!!

I want to thank everyone for the emails, calls, texts, offers, etc etc etc!!! And if you have called and I wasn't able to pick up, please know that I got your message and so much appreciated it. Even the ones that made me cry! ha ha. I apologize if I have not called you back but know thatot your calls mean alot to us. We could not do this without our amazing family and friends!

5 comments:

- jeana said...

we love you guys, and are so happy to hear deegan is doing well. he is in our prayers several times during the day, so hopefully he will eat, eat, eat! best wishes for good nights rest, you will need it when he does come home =) xoxo

Britanee Walker said...

we love you guys too and deegan's a champ already! he's doing so good! he needs to eat and eat. don't you love the billi blanket? rian had that at home and they look like a cute little glowworm :) love you lots! xoxo

Sam and Chelsie said...

Brooke,

He is so cute!!! congrats to both of you!!! hang in there!! Your little family is in our prayers!!

Heather said...

He is so CUTE!!! I remember when I was pregnant with Carson I got really SWOLLEN and then after having him got even BIGGER and it didn't go away for at least a week or more so hang in there and it will go down and when it down you feel better too!

Tarinelli said...

He is coming along amazing. We will keep you in our prayers. I hope he gets to go home soon.